Monday 5 March 2012

A blog I am unqualified to write or why I'm not doing an MA in Creative Writing

Reason 1:

Because I can't afford it.

Reason 2:

See Reason 1, but I suspect a more detailed consideration might be the reason you're reading this, so here goes.

More detailed consideration:

There has been some discussion about the merits of university creative writing courses. I am not particularly sure how qualified I am to comment on this: I did two undergraduate modules in Creative Writing at Wolverhampton University, but otherwise have no experience of the subject in an HE setting. My perspective is largely one of envy. I would love to spend a year writing and studying; but, as hinted above, it isn't really practical.

Taking money out of the equation, I still have reservations. I suppose I have to ask if I would be accepted onto a course. I have got a First Class degree (in literature), have completed (but not published) more than one novel and published a few short-stories: I flatter myself that I would be just the sort of student they are looking for. Would it actually help me be a better writer?

Will Self suggests (in the article linked to above) that 'a course can't make someone into a good writer', going on to suggest that successful graduates were innately talented anyway. I'm not convinced about that anyone is innately talented at any skill: we might have natural aptitudes in certain areas, but succeeding in any field needs practice and application.

So, do I think an MA in Creative Writing would be helpful? I suppose the answer is a qualified yes. I would certainly like the constructive and objective criticism, but this may be available elsewhere at a fraction of the cost. And to return to the top of this blog, cost is a major issue. I would like the chance to concentrate on my writing, but if I had the course fees, I can't help thinking that I could just as easily use the money to buy some time off work. What I would really like is to be in a position to find out first-hand: this is a luxury that I suspect I will never be in a position to afford.

No comments: